Tuesday, September 11, 2012

it's a new year, after all

Well, the school year has officially begun!  One thing I love about my job as the music teacher is that I get the pleasure of teaching all the kids from grades Kindergarten through 2nd grade.  This makes my job of learning names and personalities and such for sooooo many kids (almost 250-300 total!) a little bit easier since I have a lot of the same students each year.  That is, except for kindergarten.  Those kids are ALL brand new to school and to me, and well... I think we are all adjusting pretty well to each other so far.  :) 

If there is one thing I have learned about children over the last 5 years of teaching (I'm in my FIFTH year, can you believe it?!), it's that every year is new and unpredictable and every child is different and unique. And yet... they seem to do some of the exact same things!!!  :)  Well, the story I'm about to share sounds very similar to the first ever blog entry I made last spring... Except it is a new year & a different set of kids! :)  Okay, here it goes.

Let me tell you a story...

The kids were being awfully loud as they entered the music room today.  Since they are kindergarteners, I try to correct these behaviors right away instead of letting things slide and later on in the year things getting out of control!  So there I was, giving the kindergarten version of a "lecture" about coming in quietly, keeping hands to ourselves, not shouting outside, not talking when the teacher is talking, etc.  The class was very solemn and quiet when a little boy raised his hand and said:

"Your hair looks really pretty today."

I just started laughing.  They all started laughing.

Oh well.  I'll try again with the "lecture" tomorrow. :)

Gotta love 'em!

1 comment: